3 Jan 2018

Zen West


Location: St. Michael's College grounds, NW corner of Bay and St. Joseph St.
Date photo taken: 24 September 2013

This precarious looking sculpture is the work of Kosso Eloul. It was created as an edition of two, and its twin can be found in Tokyo, Japan. While simplicity and geometry are hallmarks of his work, this  idea of duality is one that he also acknowledges as an influence. "In Canada, every outdoor sculpture is a twin. I am keenly aware of this duality. I study it and count on it when I conceive my works... It's solid, it's there, but it's never the same. Not only does it change moods with that of the viewer, but it also changes appearance with the passing of the day, the changing shadows.... And so, my sculptures have a distinct and refreshingly different personality, a different meaning in the white of winter to that of the colours of summer." Quote from "Celebrating With Sculpture", a 1991 exhibit catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment